Friday, January 11, 2008

A, B, C...

We all hear about outrageous CEO pay, etc but nuanced discussions are rare. Here there is a fantastic review of how financial managers pay is seriously disconnected from the construction necessary to produce any rational, desirable outcome.

What is especially distressing is how severe the lack of respect for simple statistics must be for the managers to justify to themselves the bonuses for what seem to be impressive performance.

I had a productive trip to Illinois to visit Elise's father! Not only did I get to familiarize myself with the history of Lincoln's chosen hometown (and his fascinating rise to the presidency), but I read a LOT!

I finished this. Fascinating book. It's quite a feat to weave the follies and tragedies of a nation with the intensely personal aspirations, noble ideals, and ultimately inevitable faults of one individual. The folly of Vietnam is well-established and could hardly bear more discussion. BUt we will definitely have to deal with how quickly its lessons were forgotten.

Questions of morality abound. When in war, how does one make moral judgments? Do the criteria change? Is it inherently utilitarian? Are there any moral actions that don't fall inherently under pacifist ideas?

I am fascinated by the idea that it is a soldier's (especially an officer's) moral duty to destroy as completely as possible the enemy's forces for to do otherwise would only extend the evil that is war.

If a soldier were to deny his "duties" and refuse to fight he would be refusing to commit what cannot be called anything else than "legalized" murder. But if, in doing so, he was contributing to the destruction of his companions and family (or similarly delaying the war's conclusion) would he be guilty of other crimes?

Can two people innocent of any crime toward each other be justly compelled to do each other harm? I would say no. But I also suspect that there are clear cases where we would prefer the victory of one side. This can only be justified if war is, at times inevitable.

Is it? These are all difficult questions. I think I would like to write a more detailed post about them. Hopefully this post will serve as a catalyst to that impulse...

I also read the Purgatorio. One more. And then I can figure it all out...

No comments: